- 1 pound great northern beans.
- 6 cups water.
- 1 large yellow onion chopped.
- 2 cloves garlic minced.
- 2 4-oz cans diced green chili pepper.
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano.
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper.
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken.
- 2 fresh chili peppers – chopped.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
- Wash beans. Place in an oven and add water.
- Bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover and let beans soak for several hours, (or cover and soak beans overnight).
- Drain off water. In the same oven, combine beans, onion, garlic, green chilies, cumin, red pepper, chili peppers, salt and pepper, and oregano.
- Bring to a boil,and reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for half an hour.
- To serve stir in the cheese till just melted just before serving, with sliced chilies.