Chocolate ice cream
200g : Dark chocolate.
6 : Egg yolks.
100g : Caster sugar.
500g : Whole milk.
50g : Double cream.
40g : Cocoa powder.
70g : Sugar.
- Place chocolate in a large bowl.
- Set bowl over a saucepan to be cooked gently.
- Stir chocolate until melted. Set aside.
- Beat the yolks and sugar together until light and thick enough to leave a trail when the whisk is lifted.
- Mix together the milk, cream and and cocoa powder in a saucepan over medium heat until mixture begins to boil.
- Pour it over the egg yolk mixture in a thin stream while constantly whisking the yolks.
- Return the mixture to the pan and cook on a gently heat.
- Constantly stir with spatula and leaving the sides and bottom unsticken.
- Cook until the mixture has thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- Place in a utensil consisting of a wire or plastic mesh held in a frame over the bowl of chocolate and pour the custard over the chocolate.
- Let it rest for a few minutes, then with a whisk mix everything together.
- In heavy bottomed pan add the 70g of sugar and cook until the sugar is a dark caramel.
- But see it do not burnt and smoking.
- Pour this into ice cream shaped vessels.
- Pass the ice cream mixture through a utensil consisting of a wire or plastic mesh held in a frame.
- Refrigerate for two days before churning in an ice cream maker.
- Once churned transfer to a container and freeze for 3-4 days before eating.